You are currently viewing Market Street

Market Street

Unlike so many of the streets in the centre of Nantwich which have ancient origins from the medieval period, Market Street was laid out by the Victorians at a time of great change. In true Victorian style, the choices that they made were bold and forward thinking (for the time!) and still have a lasting impact today.

Its construction coincided with the opening of the new market hall and brought an end to the town square playing host to the market, a role which it fulfilled from way back in the 13th century. The town square looked very different to how we see it today. A row of buildings and a covered market were in the place where the open square is now. When the Victorians decided that it was time to construct a new market hall just around the corner, it was decided to demolish these old buildings which were now deemed to be unsuitable.

You can read more about the old market hall here.

You can read more about the history of Nantwich square here.

The new market hall would also give its name to a new road linking Churchyardside to the south and Beam Street to the north. This would open up the area for development and several interesting buildings were constructed here in the following years. The street and market hall are a kind of memorial to a moment in time where the ancient medieval markets were updated to something more befitting a modern market town in Victorian England. Of course, today the old market area on the square is again used to host regular markets relinking this part of town with its origins.

Todays market hall was built in 1867/1868 and was built on land provided by John Tollemache who was the local MP and the builder of Peckforton Castle.

1868. The present Market Hall erected ; and a new thoroughfare constructed called Market Street. The Hall, which was built on land given by John Tollemache, Esq., M.P., at a cost of about £2000, was opened without any demonstration whatever on the 30th July ; the Old Market Hall in High Town being shortly afterwards taken down.

– James Hall, 1883.

Photo showing the detail above the main door to the market hall with the date inscription and the family names of the original benefactors.
© Stephen Craven (cc-by-sa/2.0geograph.org.uk/p/8199730
Datestone on Nantwich market hall, taken Saturday, 22 November, 2025

Another notable building stands on the opposite side of Market Street which is currently used as offices for Chatwins bakery. The Olde Wyche Theatre opened in 1920 and it strikes an impressive stance with its turreted entrance. The theatre boasted seating for 1400 people and a stylish cafe on the first floor. Although it did have a small stage for live performances, it was primarily used as a cinema with a piano to accompany silent films with sound being added in 1930. According to chestercinemas.co.uk the first film to be shown was ‘Broken Blossoms’.

The cinema was later sold and was renamed ‘The Regal’. It continued operating until its closure in 1966. After standing empty for some years the building was converted into offices for Chatwins bakery and a new factory was built along side it.

Read more about Nantwich Street names here.

Bibliography

J. Hall, ‘A history of the town and parish of Nantwich, or Wich-Malbank’, in the county palatine of Chester. 1883.

Leave a Reply